Geocaching What is it?
Tue 7th July 2015
Geocaching – What is it?
- Itís a treasure hunt with a GPS that's happening right now, all around you.
- Geocaching is an outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
- There are 2,632,917 active geocaches and over 6 million geocachers worldwide.
- You will find details of all active caches on www.geocaching.com where you can register, find caches, log your finds and become part of the geocaching community.
- If you register for standard membership (free) you can print off details of caches
- Premium membership offers digital downloads of caches direct to your GPS; this is referred to as paperless geocaching
- There are two players in the game; the person who hides the cache and the person who seeks the cache.
- A traditional cache is a hidden box or container that always contains a logbook or log sheet for you to log your find. Larger caches may contain a logbook and any number of items. These items turn the adventure into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the cache owner or visitors to the cache may have left for you to enjoy. Remember; if you take something, you should leave something of equal or greater value in return.
- If you get into geocaching you will find that there are different types of caches to find the most popular being Traditional Geocache, Mystery or Puzzle Caches, Multi-Caches, Earthcaches and Virtual Caches.
- Quite often you may also find a Trackable, a sort of geocaching "game piece" that you. Each Trackable is etched with a unique code that can be used to log its movements on Geocaching.com as it travels in the real world. Some of these items have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles thanks to geocachers who move them from cache to cache!
- Once youíve found a cache you can log your find on geocaching.com, thank the cache owner (TFTC) and let the owner of the cache know youíve found it
- Members of the geocaching community hide and maintain all of the geocaches listed on Geocaching.com. You can hide one too!
- The most popular GPS used by geocachers is the Oregon 700 and 750 (adds camera) available from GPS Training or by calling 01669 621044 where you can talk to a GPS experts.