Best Outdoor GPS Unit 2019 and 2020
Mon 4th November 2019
Best Outdoor GPS Unit 2019/ 2020
It has been an interesting year in the world of outdoor GPS navigation and a couple of new players have rightly muscled themselves into the list of the best outdoor GPS unit for the end of 2019 and also looking forward to 2020.
So, without further ado lets look at the best Outdoor GPS units which will hopefully meet your requirements, whatever your budget.
Best budget Outdoor GPS unit
In the past I had always had the Garmin eTrex touch 25 as the best budget GPS unit, this is still the case if you are a multi activity user and you donít do lots of winter walking.
The Garmin eTrex touch 25 is just a small Oregon 700 GPS unit, with a few of the bells and whistles removed and frankly there is no need to look any further, itís a great Outdoor GPS unit, one of the new generation GPS units which is so much easier to use.
So here you go, the best budget Outdoor GPS unit is the Garmin eTrex Touch 25, there are varies mapping options available –
1. Garmin eTrex touch with the built in TOPO Active mapping – more
2. Garmin eTrex touch with a Birdseye Plus Voucher (enabling you to download 25,000 sq km of 1:25k maps) – more
3. Garmin eTrex Touch with a 1:50k TOPO PRO Ordnance Survey Map card – more
This year Garmin updated the Garmin eTrex Range and the previous models (eTrex 20x and 30x) got updated to the 22x and 32x and now, for me, if you are a four season walker and you want a button GPS unit (because you wear gloves in winter), I would now seriously consider the Garmin eTrex 32x.
It has a slightly smaller screen than the eTrex Touch 25t but it is a clearer screen and with the slightly smaller screen you get improved battery life.
So, if you are a four-season walker who wants a great little GPS unit, just in case, I would certainly recommend the Garmin eTrex 32x.
1. Garmin eTrex 32x with the built in TOPO Active mapping – more
2. Garmin eTrex 32x with a Birdseye Plus Voucher (enabling you to download 25,000 sq km of 1:25k maps) – more
Best Outdoor GPS unit
Garmin really shook up the GPS market last year when they released the Garmin GPSMAP66s, in the past the GPSMAP range of units always had a slightly smaller screen compared to the Garmin Oregon range but will the all new GPSMAP66s now having the same size screen as the Oregon it now lines up side by side with it.
Also, with the Garmin GPSMAP66s being a newer unit is also has a couple of key features that you donít find on the Oregon, these mainly being –
The Garmin GPSMAP66s –
- Utilises the amazing accuracy if the European Galileo satellites.
- The Garmin GPSMAP66s also works alongside the Garmin Explore App, which means that lots the route planning process you used to have to do on a PC/ Mac can now be done on a phone/ tablet.
So, it comes back to touchscreen or button GPS unit.
If you use a GPS for walking, cycling and geocaching (or any two of those activities) I would certainly for the Garmin Oregon 700, a great multi activity GPS unit.
It is a touchscreen GPS unit so itís easier to input data and the multi activity interface you get on this Outdoor GPS unit is second to none.
1. Garmin Oregon 700 Garmin with a Birdseye Plus Voucher (enabling you to download 25,000 sq km of 1:25k maps) – more
2. Garmin Oregon 700 with a 1:50k TOPO PRO Ordnance Survey Map card – more
3. Garmin Oregon 700 with a 1:25k TOPO PRO Ordnance Survey Map card – more
If you are a four-season walker and many months of your walking will be done with gloves, I will firmly push you in the direction of the Garmin GPSMAP66s.
With its increased functionality and now with it having the same sized screen as the Garmin Oregon it is a must for the walker and outdoor enthusiasts.
1. Garmin GPSMAP66s with a Birdseye Plus Voucher (enabling you to download 25,000 sq km of 1:25k maps) – more
2. Garmin GPSMAP66s with a 1:50k TOPO PRO Ordnance Survey Map card – more
3. Garmin GPSMAP66s with a 1:25k TOPO PRO Ordnance Survey Map card – more
If you want to know more about any of the GPS units mentioned in this article, please do call – 01669 621044 – and speak to a friendly GPS expert.
We wonít baffle you, we will listen to your requirements and offer you an honest impartial recommendation on the best Outdoor GPS unit for you.
On the 28th GPS Training Podcast, 2 minutes 30 seconds in we chat over the best GPS units as we look forward to Christmas 2019