Garmin inReach - satellite communicators - what are they?
Thu 14th February 2019
Garmin inReach products have been with us for a couple of years now and have proved very popular.
1. What is a Garmin inReach?
Using the worldwide coverage of the Iridium satellite network, they are go-anywhere portable devices let you exchange text messages with any mobile phone number or email address anywhere – while using GPS to track and share your journey’s progress. You can also post to social media or even communicate inReach-to-inReach in the field.
In case of an at-risk situation, you can also use inReach to trigger an SOS message to the 24/7 monitoring centre, text back and forth about the nature of your emergency, and receive professional advice and confirmation when help is on the way.
2. No Mobile Signal? No Problem.
Garmin inReach devices give you all the tools to stay totally connected. You don’t have to worry about not being within range of mobile phone signal – or what happens in many cases encountering spotty coverage in fringe zones or blackout areas.
Your inReach communicator works anywhere and everywhere – so you’re never out of range and never out of reach.
3. Are they easy to use?
Yes, but as with any device bought from GPS Training, you get full access to the GPS Training online resource for one year which has videos of how to set up an account to use your inReach product right through to using it in the field.
4. How much are the service plans for Garmin inReach products?
You can see the varies subscriptions available online here.
What Garmin inReach products are available?
1. Garmin inReach Mini - palm-sized satellite communicator - more here
2. Garmin inReach SE+ - Black and white handheld unit - more here
3. inReach Explorer + - Full-colour unit that you can download full-colour maps for anywhere in the world (at no extra cost) onto your unit - more here
Practical use of the Garmin inReach
1. Extract from our fourth Podcast, Henry, a Shepherds Walks Holiday guide.
2. Extract from our podcasts – an interview with Duncan, built his own rowing boat and used a Garmin inReach Explorer +
- First interview – Episode 10 (starts at 2 minutes in) - more here
- Second interview – Podcast special – Episode 15 - more here
If you would like to know any more about Garmin inReach products please do get in touch.