Review and interview - Garmin GPSMAP 66sr and GPSMAP 65s
Thu 1st October 2020
This interview is an extract from the 44th GPS Training Podcast. To listen to the Podcast in its entirety please click here.
How does the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr differ from the –
1. Garmin GPSMAP 66s
2. GPSMAP 66st
3. GPSMAP 66i?
What are the key features on the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr?
1. Multi-band GPSS – This is Garminís first Outdoor GPS unit to use five satellite systems, this being the GPS (American), GLONASS (Russian), Galileo (European), QZSS (Japanese) and IRSS (Indian).
2. Pre-loaded TOPO Active mapping installed.
3. Built-in battery – 36 hours battery life or 450 hours in Expedition Mode.
And the rest …
1. Large Colour screen (3 inch)
2. ABC sensors – Altimeter, barometer to monitor weather and 3 axis electronic compass
3. Birdseye Satellite Imagery – The ability to download satellite imagery directly onto the unit
4. Garminís Active weather – when tethered to a smartphone you get real time weather forecasts
5. LED flashlight – this can also be used as a flashing beacon if need be
6. Live Geocaching – when tethered to smartphone or on a wifi
7. Garmin Explore App – The Garmin GPSMAP 66sr works alongside the Garmin Explore app, so you can download .gpx files onto your mobile phone or tablet and transfer directly onto the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr.
Garmin GPSMAP 66sr – Options
1. Garmin GPSMAP 66sr with TOPO Active maps – more
2. Garmin GPSMAP 66sr with TOPO Active maps and 1:50k map card – more
3. Garmin GPSMAP 66sr with TOPO Active maps and 1:25k map card – more
Garmin GPSMAP 65s – Options
1. Garmin GPSMAP 65s with TOPO Active maps - more
2. Garmin GPSMAP 65s with TOPO Active maps and 1:50k map card – more
3. Garmin GPSMAP 65s with 25,000 sq km of 1:25k maps - more