What is the best mid-prices walking, cycling and multi-activity GPS Device?
Tue 24th October 2017
At GPS Training, we have a large range of handheld walking / cycling / multi-activity GPS Devices ranging in price from £99.00 - £1059, in this article we are going to look at a good mid-priced unit loaded with a lot of the features that we see in higher spec / priced units.
The unit that we have selected at GPS Training for our recommendation for best mid-priced walking / cycling / multi-activity GPS Device is the Garmin eTrex Touch 35t supplied with full GB OS 1:50k Mapping - more here
This unit is priced at £349.99 which we feel is great value considering you are also supplied with full GB OS 1:50k mapping, this map card is worth £199.99 when purchased on its own, with these map you have the equivalent of the 204 x OS Landranger Paper Maps available electronically on the screen of your GPS Device.
The eTrex Touch35t is a lightweight compact unit with a 2.6Ē colour sunlight readable touchscreen, it has a nice sturdy feel and a good weatherproof rating of IPX7 hence there is no problem using it out all day on a walk or mounting it on the handlebars of your bike.
As well as the full GB OS 1:50k Landranger Mapping the eTrex Touch 35t also comes pre-loaded with Garminís Topo Active Mapping covering all of Europe, great for those holidays abroad.
When you first turn on the unit a simple display with one of the pre-loaded activity profile homepages is displayed and with a simple swipe left to right on the screen you can move between these activity screens e.g. Hike, Bike, Tour Cycle, Geocache etc.
What we like about these activity profiles is that you can individually changes each profile to best suit the activity that you are doing whether this just be viewing some different data boxes with information about your activity or changing the type of map that you view i.e. when Hiking you see the OS 1:50k map or when cycling you see the more cycle friendly Topo Active European Mapping.
Once you have selected the Activity Page that you want to use a simple tap on the screen brings up the map page and from the map page you can simply swipe left or right moving to the Trip Log Computer, Electronic Compass screen and Altimeter screen with height data.
The trip computer shows a good selection of data boxes which display useful information about your Activity E.g. Distance Travelled, Speed, Elevation etc with many available choices that you can use to customize the data that you see within these boxes.
It is easy to use the new track recording function from a simple swipe from the bottom of the map page you can start and stop a recording of your activity which can then be reviewed back in Garminís free planning software.
For those of you interested in the outdoor activity of Geocaching which is basically a fun electronic treasure hunt, the eTrex Touch 35t comes pre-loaded with 250k Geocaches and has a pre-loaded Geocache Activity Profile to get the best out of this fun activity.
The eTrex Touch 35t unit has a 3axis electronic compass which means whether you hold the unit flat or upright or are stationary or moving the map page will orientate in the direction of your travel making navigation on the map a straightforward process.
You also find on the eTrex Touch 35t GPS a Barometric Altimeter for more accurate elevation data, great for those mountain climbs.
The eTrex Touch 35t unit receives satellite signals from both the American GPS system and Russian Glonass System this helps with reception when you are under a tree canopy and gives you an accurate location fix.
To sum up the eTrex Touch35t GPS Device suppled with full GB OS 1:50k Mapping, this is a great mid-priced unit for walking, cycling, Geocaching and many other outdoor activities, with many of the main features of the higher spec models, including a Barometric Altimeter and Bluetooth connectivity, Garminís aim was to make an outdoor multi-activity handheld GPS Device thatís both user-friendly, affordable and with some good GB OS explorer mapping installed for those of you who walk in many different parts of GB.
- User friendly sunlight readable touchscreen – quicker to move between screens and menus
- Pre-loaded multi activity profiles – for ease of use and personalization
- 3 axis Electronic Compass – displays your direction to navigate in even when stationary and whether the units is held upright or flat
- Barometric Altimeter – giving you more accurate height data
- Bluetooth connectivity – used for syncing data with Garmin connect App and pairing with additional Garmin ANT+ sensors
- Supplied with full GB Ordnance Survey 1:50k Landranger maps – most cost effective to get full GB OS Mapping on the unit
- Smaller lower pixel screen
- Cannot install Apps from the Garmin IQ connect store - this is a new feature of the higher spec Oregon 700 range using the Garmin Connect App
What is supplied in the Box with the eTrex Touch 35t from GPS Training:
- eTrex Touch 35t (pre-loaded with Garmin TopoActive European Maps)
- Full GB Ordnance Survey 1:50k Maps loaded on a micro sd card in the unit
- USB cable
- Garmin bike mount (Worth £9.99)
- Getting started with Your eTrex Touch guide - (produced by GPS Training)
- Garmin BaseCamp Planning Software instructions (produced by GPS Training)
- Username and Password giving you free 12 months access to our GPS Training Online Training Resource (Normally £25.00)
More info here about the eTrex Touch 35 with full GB Ordnance survey maps.
Another similar priced unit to consider:
Garmin GPSMap64s with full GB OS 1:50k Mapping – More info here
This is a push button unit designed more for the all-season hiker who wants to also use the unit with their gloves on, not quite as user friendly for those of us more used to using touchscreens now and multi-activity profiles are easier to access on a eTrex Touch 35t unit.